Monday, May 17, 2010

Chicago, May 14, 4:55 P.M.

I’ve reached my final destination for the night! Except for the driving to Hanno’s house part. I am so excited to get to spend time with Hannah. She and I have always been the friends that have the same relationship when we’re together despite how much time goes by between visits. I LOVE it. J Hanno and Kato reunite!

I brought the most incredible pillow with me on this trip. I didn’t even know how amazing it was until this last flight. Best. Coach-class. Airplane. Nap. EVER. I seriously slept the entire flight. I don’t think I will be willing to travel without it ever again.

I’m waiting for Hannah to get here right now (she was at a show in Milwaukee this afternoon), so I’m sitting in the airport. I have absolutely no problem with this, which is something one of my friends doesn’t seem to comprehend. He keeps texting me about how much waiting for someone at the airport sucks, and I’m just thinkin’…Don’t bring me down, man! I’m loving everything about this vacation. The flying, the meeting random people, the scouring of O’Hare to find the one outlet where I can plug in my computer underneath an escalator…it’s all fun for me. Of course, seeing Hannah’s very missed face and laughing with her for the next 7 or 8 hours before we pass out is going to take the cake, but there is something to like about each part of this journey. My one rule for this weekend (during which oh so much could go wrong) is: no negativity. Whatever happens, happens. I will make the most of it. There’s so much to be made of it!!

Ah, iPod. How you are always so appropriate. Shuffle just turned to Mat Kearney’s “Chicago.” Amazing. J

Stepping through the haze one more day
On wide open road
On and on, the lights come and go
And everything I might not even know
What is the distance? On through the resistance…

When I left Tuscaloosa this morning, I was frustrated. I was fed up with some things in my life that have lately been making me very inwardly-focused and not nearly optimistic enough. I was lonely. I am still these things. But it’s getting better with every step I take on this trip. This a vacation for cleansing, for renewal. For time with me and God and some of the amazing people He has given me in my life. It’s time to turn the focus outward, to grab hold of life before it passes me by mid-wallow. There is no time for wallowing! Life is happening now. This is a kick-start to a better summer mentality for me. I won’t spend any more time ignoring the goodness around me.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. Especially the last line. :-) I'm with ya.

    ReplyDelete