Thursday, March 25, 2010

Today at 4:15

I walk to the water fountain every two seconds,
My mouth eternally, hopelessly dry.
My clammy hands shake with increasing vigor
For I know my time of performance is nigh.
My heart flies into my throat for a moment,
Stalling a needed and deep breath of air.
My face turns white and my legs feel like jell-o.
White-knuckled, I grip the arms of my chair.
I sit silently in wait 'til I hear my professor
Call my self's unfortunate name
With wobbly legs, I walk to the piano
Praying my pulse will miraculously tame.
I stand for a couple of awkward moments
As my accompanist tries to find the right page.
Waiting, I give a shy smile to an audience
Of incredibly talented students my age.
The pianist starts slow, so I must sing faster
To get her to the play the right tempo and pace.
Distracted, I forget to mind my own singing,
And get through the first lines with much less than grace.
I finally settle into my song,
And though I'm more focused, I unfortunately know
It will be impossible to sing like I could
If I were not trembling from head to toe.
If you have never been allergic to adrenaline
Or had an overly active heart,
You can have no idea how helpless I feel.
Taking my medicine would have been smart.
I finish my song without too much embarrassment
And take my seat before applause subsides.
Of course, as soon as I'm back in my chair,
There is calm in the place where my thrashing heart hides.
What a joy to sing for my peers.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I feel your shaking, as I read. I'm proud of you, you know.

    ReplyDelete